These are all true reasons people used on insurance forms in the UK. Although amusing, you may need to be a little sensitive with these
- Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don't have
- I thought my window was down but I found it was up when I put my head through it
- The guy was all over the road. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him
- In an attempt to kill a fly I drove into a telegraph pole
- I had been driving for around 40 years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident
- The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intention
- An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my car and vanished
- The pedestrian had no idea which way to run so I ran over him
WHY DO WE MAKE EXCUSES?
To get us out of trouble OR to save us work and effort OR often because we are afraid of failing and we don't want to risk something
STORY TO ILLUSTRATE
Florence Chadwick was the first woman to ever swim the English Channel. However, she failed on her first attempt when she was only half a mile away from the French shore. Why? Because the fog came down and a little voice whispered to her 'you won't make it.' When she was hauled into the boat and found how near she'd come she was gutted. BUT she didn't stay knocked back, she went back and did the swim again (not the same day!) and guess what? She made it and set a new world record!
It's often easier not to try something and use an excuse to cover it up rather than fail, face our fears or make a decision. However, we need to grab hold of life in every opportunity - the opportunity may never come up again. You CAN do it and even if you don't, what does it matter? Often the only way to learn and succeed is to try, fail and get back up again like Florence Chadwick.
More than that, as Christians, we believe that God is on our side, helping us in all that we do. There is a story in the Bible about some spies who went into a foreign land that God had promised to give them. The people were giants and the spies came back and said - 'no way, we'll never beat them, don't bother..' But there were 2 men called Joshua and Caleb and they said, 'Not true. They may be bigger but God is on our side and has promised us we will win - let's go for it.'